The Italian National Institute of Statistics has been present in Italy since 1926 as a public research instituion and is the main producer of official statistics in the service of citizens and policy-makers. It operates in complete independence and continuous interaction with the academic and scientific communities.
The mission of the Italian National Institute of Statistics is to develop detailed knowledge of Italy’s environmental, economic and social dimensions at various levels. serve the community by producing and communicating high-quality statistical information and analyses in complete independence and in accordance with the strictest ethical and professional principles.
Istat is a member of the European Statistical System and works with other organisations within the international statistical system and public administration, with the research community and with Civil society. Its vision is to use available resources in the most effective, efficient way possible.
Long-term strategic objectives
- To evaluate information requirements through ongoing dialogue with users.
- To produce relevant statistical information for national and international users in accordance with the highest standards of quality, as well as strict ethical and professional principles.
- To conduct methodological, applied research with the aim of improving processes involved in the production of statistical information, and to contribute to knowledge of Italy’s environmental, economic and social dimensions.
- To develop the National Statistical System in order to extend the range and quality of statistical information provided to the community, while optimising levels of coordination and efficiency within the system.
- To foster the coordinated development of information systems employed by public administration as well as their use for statistical purposes in such a way as to increase the amount of information available, while maximising the integration of sources and minimising the statistical load upon respondents.
- To contribute to the development of the European Statistical System and promote international cooperation in the field of statistics.
- To publish and communicate effectively statistical information and results of analyses conducted in order to foster awareness of Italy’s economic, social and environmental dimensions and to improve decision-making processes on the part of private subjects and public institutions.
- To promote training and education in the field of statistics in order to improve understanding, on the part of both institutions and private citizens, of the information produced regarding Italy’s environmental, economic and social dimensions, and to foster the appropriate use of this information.
- To sustain the production of statistics through high-quality administrative and management processes.
- To develop human capital and improve staff working conditions.
Initiatives on progress and well-being
The Italian National Institute of Statistics (Istat) and the National Council for Economics and Labour (CNEL) have launched a joint initiative to identify a set of indicators of progress and well-being for Italy. Relevant dimensions and indicators are discussed and validated by representatives of civil society, within a consultative process.
Istat coordinates the European Commission FP7 project e-Frame A European Framework for Measuring Progress
Global Project Correspondent
Istat is National Correspondent for the Global Project on Measuring the Progress of Societies.
For progress related issues please contact: email@example.com
Progess Papers and Publications
- The Way Forward (Presentation) by Enrico Giovannini, President of the Italian National Statistics Institute at the 3rd OECD World Forum, Busan, Korea, 2009
|Please contribute and update this page. Your input is very much appreciated!|